280. There are situations in which it's highly advisable for a person to control his/her temper and keep his/her mouth shut .
281. Gone are the days when Chinese people could expect cradle to death support from the government .
282. The days when one could safely walk city streets at night are gone .
283. China's population almost doubled to 1.2 billion people during the 1955-1995 , according to the National Census Bureau .
284. A report by the Department of Education estimates that the student-teacher ratio in China is four times higher than in the United States .
285. Official figures released by the Ministry of Transportation show that motor vehicle fatalities have more than tripled since 1995 .
286. Women accounted for less than two percent of the total number of deputies to the National People's Congress in 1990 , compared with almost 12 percent in 1998 .
287. Some 140 major state-owned companies have either declared bankruptcy or entered into mergers during 1998 , up a whopping 75 percent on the total number for the 10-year period between 1985-1995 .
288. China's illiteracy rate has dropped by some 60 percent over the past few years , but nonetheless remains at one of the highest levels for any developing nation .
289. The steady three-year annual rise in the export rate between 1995-1997 has been followed by steadily failling prices during 1998 and the trend is expected to continue indefinitely .
290. It is essential to examine every angle in order to fully understand the nature of a perplexing problem .