How do I identify the task?
The crime rate among teenagers has increased dramatically in many countries.
Discuss some possible reasons for this increase and suggest solutions.
Task(what you have to do)通常出现在题目的结尾处。
在这一题中，你需要做的是‘Discuss some possible reasons for this increase and suggest solutions’。
1. Why teenage crime has increased
2. Ways to solve this problem
A Common Mistake
但如果你先确定了写作内容，接下来就会组织好你的语言。可能你会想出几个犯罪率上升的原因，如'lack of parental supervision'或‘boredom’等等。
但如果你写‘more young people being put in prison'或是 ‘stress for their parents'，就不对了。因为这些是problems而不是reasons。
Other Question Types
Advances in technology and automation have reduced the need for manual labour. Therefore, working hours should be reduced.
To what extent do you agree?
首先要表达是否同意'working hours should be reduced'或是‘ automation (machines) takes over from some human’s duties’。同时还要说明‘how much you agree or disagree ’("to what extent")。
1. The advantages of reducing working hours
2. The disadvantages of reducing working hours
Identify the Task - Practice
Pick the one that you think best describes what you would write about in order to fully answer all parts of the question.
1. The rising levels of congestion and air pollution found in most of the world cities can be attributed directly to the rapidly increasing number of private cars in use. In order to reverse this decline in the quality of life in cities, attempts must be made to encourage people to use their cars less and public transport more. Discuss possible ways to encourage the use of public transport.
A. Why people have been using cars more and public transport less
B. How to get people to use public transport more
C. The causes of increasing congestion and air pollution.
2. Do the benefits of study abroad justify the difficulties? What advice would you offer to a prospective student?
A. (a) A discussion of the benefits versus the challenges of studying abroad (b) Strategies to cope with studying abroad
B. (a) The benefits of study abroad
C. (a) The benefits of study abroad (b) the difficulties of studying abroad
3. Fresh water has always been a limited resource in some parts of the world. Today, however, growing worldwide demand has made this a global problem. What are the causes of the increased demand and what measure could governments and individuals take to respond to this problem?
A. (a) The problems with using too much water (b) Government solutions (c) Individual solutions
B. How (a) Governments and (b) Individuals can solve water shortage problems.
C. (a) Reasons for increased demand for water (b)Government solutions (c) Individual solutions
4. As global trade increases, many goods including those we use on a daily basis are produced in other countries and transported long distances. Do the benefits of the trend outweigh the drawback?
A. (a) The benefits of this (b) The disadvantages of this (c)Your opinion on whether it is more beneficial or not
B. (a) The benefits of this (b) Your opinion on whether is is more beneficial or not
C. (a) The disadvantages of this (b) Your opinion on whether it is more beneficial or not
5. Some people feel that animals should have the same rights as humans, but others think they are not as equal or intelligent as us so should not have the same rights. Discuss both opinions and give your opinion.
A. (a) The arguments for giving animals rights (b) The arguments against this
B. (a) Arguments for having animal rights (b) The arguments against this (c) Your opinion
C. (a) The reasons why animals are not as equal or intelligent as humans
6. Currently there is a trend towards the use of alternative forms of medicine. However, at best these methods are ineffective, and at worst they may be dangerous. To what extent do you agree with this statement?
A. (a) How alternative medicine differs from Conventional medicine
B. (a) The dangers of alternative medicine
C. (a) The benefits of alternative medicine (b) The drawbacks of alternative medicine (c) Your opinion
7. Overpopulation of urban areas has led to numerous problems. Identify one or two serious ones and suggest ways that governments and individuals can tackle these problems.
A. (a) Problems of overpopulation in urban areas (b)Government solutions (c) Individual solutions
B. (a) The problems of overpopulation (b) The solutions
C. (a) How governments can tackle urban overpopulation (b)How individuals can tackle urban overpopulation.
8. Computers should never have been invented. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
A. (a) The reasons why computers were invented (b) The benefits of computers (c) Your opinion.
B. (a) The problems with computers (b) Solutions to these problems.
C. (a) The benefits of computers (b) The drawbacks of computers (c) Your opinion
9. Unemployment has become an increasing problem in the recent past. What factors contribute to an increase in unemployment and what steps can be taken to solve the problem?
A. (a) The causes of increasing unemployment (b) How to solve this problem
B. (a) The problems with increasing unemployment (b) How to solve this problem.
C. (a) The reasons why unemployment is increasing.
10. Some people think that young children should be allowed to do paid work, while others think that this should be illegal. Discuss both opinions and give your opinion.
A. (a) The advantages of allowing children to do paid work (b)Your opinion.
B. (a) The advantages of allowing children to do paid work (b)The disadvantages this (c) Your opinion.
C. (a) The problems of allowing children to do paid work (b)The benefits of allowing them to do paid work.
雅思速成 之 "必看专题" 详情请戳图~