|The stone was promptly dispatched to Cairo's Institute of Egypt for further study by Napoleon's scholars, where it was christened 'The Rosetta Stone', for obvious reasons. Although it quickly became clear that the same message was indeed engraved in three different languages, only the bottom script, in Greek, could be read. The top script consisted of fourteen rows of hieroglyphics, followed by thirty-two rows of an undecipherable Egyptian writing that was simply termed 'demotic'.|
Question: The word promptly in the passage is closest in meaning to
The word you know
The word you do not know
Read the following passage and answer the question.
'The wording of vocabulary questions is almost always 'The word "technical" in the passage is closest in meaning to" followed by four answer choices. The word or phrase in question might be a relatively common word you're familiar with already, or it might be a more technical phrase. In either case, ifs important to pay attention to the context the word is used in, as this may impact your answer.
The meaning of the word "technical" in the passage is closest in meaning to
读这段话后，我们可以先将”technical”替换为”rare”，因为前面一句话中有”you’re familiar with”，而这句话中有个连词”or”。再看一下选项，并没有与”rare”意思相同的词。但A项，词义明显不对。”technical”与”technology”的词根相同，并没有”old”的意思，因此C项也不对。D项”foreign”倾向于how well the reader knows the word，因此这道题的答案为B。
1. At first, it would appear that this question is impossible to answer. To find out how grammar is created, someone needs to be present at the time of a language's creation, documenting its emergence. Many historical linguists are able to trace modern complex languages back to earlier languages, but in order to answer the question of how complex languages are actually formed, the researcher needs to observe how languages are started from scratch. Amazingly, however, this is possible.
'From scratch' is closest in meaning to:
A. from the very beginning
B. in simple cultures
C. by copying something else
D. by using written information
2. Some of the most recent languages evolved due to the Atlantic slave trade. At that time, slaves from a number of different ethnicities were forced to work together under colonizer's rule. Since they had no opportunity to learn each other's languages, they developed a make-shift language called a pidgin. Pidgins are strings of words copied from the language of the landowner.
'Make-shift' is closest in meaning to:
A. complicated and expressive
B. simple and temporary
C. extensive and diverse
D. private and personal
3. Each child used the signs differently, and there was no consistent grammar. However, children who joined the school later, when this inventive sign system was already around, developed a quite different sign language. Although it was based on the signs of the older children, the younger children's language was more fluid and compact, and it utilised a large range of grammatical devices to clarify meaning. What is more, all the children used the signs in the same way. A new creole was born.
Look at the word 'consistent'. This word could best be replaced by which of the following?
4. A second problem is the fact that many renewable power generation sources are located in remote areas, such as windy uplands and coastal regions, where there is currently a lack of electrical infrastructure. New infrastructures therefore must be built. Thankfully, with improved smart technology, this can be done more efficiently by reducing the reinforcement or construction costs.
The word 'remote' could be best replace by:
5. Although Smart Technology is still in its infancy, pilot schemes to promote and test it are already underway. Consumers are currently testing the new smart meters which can be used in their homes to manage electricity use. There are also a number of demonstrations being planned to show how the smart technology could practically work, and trials are in place to test the new electrical infrastructure.
The word 'underway' is closest in meaning to:
D in progress
答案请戳：7天搞定托福阅读-Day 4 Understand Vocabulary in Context 【练习答案】
· 小编推荐 ·